Friday, April 12, 2013

Dr. Tongue's Evil House of Pancakes Presents Jurassic Park in 3D!!

1993 was an important year for my childhood. It was the first summer of my life where I got to go see movies in the theater on a regular basis. I saw The Fugitive, and The Man Without A Face. I was a little too young to appreciate those movies. I also saw Sidekicks and T.M.N.T. 3, the latter of which I cringe at the idea of watching again as an adult.

Yet none of those films would impact my life as much as the theater presentation of Jurassic Park did. To this day I still remember the awe I felt seeing those dinosaurs come to life on the big screen. It motivated me to read my first novel by Michael Crichton, may he rest in peace. That lead to discovering an author who inspired me to think big and aspire to write my own exciting tales of technology gone astray.

Well now I'm 31 years old, and Jurassic Park is back on the big screen in 3D. When I first heard the news of it's re-release I was more excited to see it on the big screen again then I was in the 3D conversion. Ever since my teens I've been an enthusiast for the theater experience. 3D has made it easier to explain this to people who don't understand the immersion factor of a theater presentation. Tell someone that if they didn't see Avatar in 3D then they didn't "really" see it, and chances are they'll accept that statement. Hell, they may even agree with you. But offer the same argument for a movie like Dark Knight Rises, and a debate will ensue.

Let's get the 3D conversation over with here. It was very impressive how well they converted it to that presentation. If you're into 3D, I highly recommend it. Ok, now that that's over ...

Here's what is even better about this re-release, they're also showing it remastered in it's original 2D presentation. Now, if you don't care about 3D but would like to see this movie again then PLEASE GO SEE THIS IN 2D!

You may be asking yourself, WHY WOULD I WANT TO PAY TO SEE THIS IN 2D WHEN I CAN SEE IT 3D?

Think about every crappy movie remake you've ever seen. Would you have preferred to have just seen the original on the big screen again instead of the money inspired reproduction? I would. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I would pay good money to see older movies in a theater again. Imagine the statement we could make to Hollywood if the 2D version of the Jurassic Park release made more money than the 3D version?

Maybe then Hollywood would give these classic's another chance on our modern cinema's instead of trying to remake them. These are all rumored remakes in development for 2013-2014 releases ...

  • Carrie
  • Escape From New York
  • Robocop
  • Mad Max
  • Pet Sematary
  • Point Break
  • The Crow
  • An American Werewolf in London
  • Child's Play
  • Drop Dead Fred
  • The NeverEnding Story
  • Overboard
  • Highlander

I don't know about you but I'm sick of remakes. Well ... except for Evil Dead. That was pretty awesome, and Carrie does look like it's going to be pretty good. Wait, I'm losing focus here.

I don't want to see a new Escape From New York. I want to see Kurt Russel larger than life again! Here's our chance to show Hollywood that there's money to be made in re-releases. Please, for the love of classic 80's and 90's cinema GO SEE JURASSIC PARK IN 2D!!

Oh, since you've been such a good sport for reading this far here's a classic SCTV clip with John Candy about 3D movies. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment